Today, I talk about Bucket Listing and Growing Up.
I have been meaning to compile and write down 30 things that I want to accomplish before I reach the full, ripe age of 30. I admit, I have been a lazy-ass, but my cousin Tricia made me realize that I should quit stalling and start writing! So today, I finally took the time to craft my list.
See, I’m the type of person who doesn’t really have a career plan in mind, but I have goals that I want to cross out. I understand that a lot of people would frown upon this mindset, but we only have one life to live, right? I just want to make the most out of it.
Financially, I know that this will be a challenge. Being a girl, I have unnecessary but (excusably) necessary expenses such as clothes, nail polish, etc etc etc. And because of this reason (among many others), I know this will entail me to juggle a day job with a few sidelines, but it’s okay. The determination mustered from daydreaming about reaching these goals (!!!+!) has fueled me to just do it. So, let’s go!
Mikka Wee’s 30 before 30:
- Swim with the whale sharks (butanding) and experience the firefly boat ride in Donsol
- Go to the Burning Man Art Festival in Nevada
- Visit the 38th Parallel & the Locks of Love in Seoul
- Kiss Oscar Wilde’s tomb in Père Lachaise Cemetery, Paris
- Go to the Color Festival in India
- Witness the Northern Lights and visit Alexander Supertramp’s Magic Bus in Alaska
- SECRET GOAL. I will divulge when the time comes! 😉
- Witness the Sky Lantern Festival in Bangkok
- Climb to the peak of Mt. Pulag
- Visit Calauit Island in Palawan
- Go spelunking in Sagada
- Have my cookie business up and running
- Ride a hot air balloon in Cappadocia, Turkey
- Hop on the train from Bangkok to Vietnam
- Carefree in Santorini!!!
- Launch a project/movement for the art community
- Finish the Bible
- Find a pen-pal who’s willing to correspond the old school way
- Bungee jump in Macau
- Go backpacking alone in a foreign land
- Meet a panda bear and visit the Great Wall
- Read at least 200 books
- See (and hopefully touch) a polar bear
- Go skydiving
- Throw a Harry Potter-themed dinner
- Re-learn the art of watercolor and fill up at least 3 sketchbooks
- Complete a 365 photo project
- Write at least 375 blog entries
- Be an active member of a community with a cause I firmly believe in
- Find myself.
One of my favorite quotes in the whole wide world is François Rabelais’s I go to seek a Great Perhaps, which were his last words. It can be quite cryptic, subjective, and open to interpretation. But here’s how I see it: I like how the word “seek” connotes a perpetual search for something…capitalized, akin to a quest of sorts. This comes in the form of the Great Perhaps, which, according to some people, implies Death or Paradise because the Renaissance writer said it as he breathed his last. But for me, I’d like to view it as a constant adventure. Not really along the lines of demise, but more of a journey towards Something Bigger.
So as of today, April 7, 2012, I, Mikka Wee, 22 years of age, have exactly 7 years and 9 months to make the aforementioned list HAPPEN. The clock is ticking.
Let’s get started!
8 thoughts on “I go to seek a Great Perhaps”
Go for it Mikka! 🙂
Thank you, Rach!!! Yup I will! I am so scared, but super excited!!!
funny! i was just thinking of my 30 before 30 list while i was in the shower the other day wahaha lol! having a mental list aint good, it keeps changing!!! but so is life. still, i hope i can sit down and put it all on paper one of these days! i miss u babe!!!! 🙂
I think mine will also be subject to change. Like, when I see something awesome on Lonely Planet I’d get all excited and squealy (you know me, haha!) There are so many more that I’d like to add such as see the Pyramids of Giza, visit Easter Island, go on a Safari Trip…but those can wait. 🙂 Let me see yours once it’s down on paper! I miss you, too! SHOW YOURSELF!!!
Hi Mikka! It’s Gill again! 🙂 I was feeling low and your blog’s always one of those that can lift my hopes up because you write about stuff that I believe in AND halos perfect timing sila when I read the posts. (Naks!) I’m trying to finish my own blog so I could share my thoughts too. As for your list, I love it! (9, 16, and 24 would also be on my list if I had one!)
As for the pen-pal, what are the requirements? :)) Snail mail correspondence within Metro Manila doesn’t sound so bad (although doesn’t have the appeal of penpals from other countries!)
AWWW. That’s so sweet! Thank you so much, love! Hee, butterflies. 🙂 Let me know once your blog is up okay! Hopefully you’ll have a bucket list, too? 😉
Snail mail, definitely! Packages, too! Yes! A Metro Manila pen-pal would be interesting, hmm. 😉
Mikka Wee, let me volunteer as a penpal! Haha!!
I will message you now on Facebook! 😉 So sorry this reply is late!