Today, I talk about Bucket Listing and Growing Up.
I have been meaning to compile and write down 30 things that I want to accomplish before I reach the full, ripe age of 30. I admit, I have been a lazy-ass, but my cousin Tricia made me realize that I should quit stalling and start writing! So today, I finally took the time to craft my list.
See, I’m the type of person who doesn’t really have a career plan in mind, but I have goals that I want to cross out. I understand that a lot of people would frown upon this mindset, but we only have one life to live, right? I just want to make the most out of it.
Financially, I know that this will be a challenge. Being a girl, I have unnecessary but (excusably) necessary expenses such as clothes, nail polish, etc etc etc. And because of this reason (among many others), I know this will entail me to juggle a day job with a few sidelines, but it’s okay. The determination mustered from daydreaming about reaching these goals (!!!+!) has fueled me to just do it. So, let’s go!
Mikka Wee’s 30 before 30:
- Swim with the whale sharks (butanding) and experience the firefly boat ride in Donsol
- Go to the Burning Man Art Festival in Nevada
- Visit the 38th Parallel & the Locks of Love in Seoul
- Kiss Oscar Wilde’s tomb in Père Lachaise Cemetery, Paris
- Go to the Color Festival in India
- Witness the Northern Lights and visit Alexander Supertramp’s Magic Bus in Alaska
- SECRET GOAL. I will divulge when the time comes! 😉
- Witness the Sky Lantern Festival in Bangkok
- Climb to the peak of Mt. Pulag
- Visit Calauit Island in Palawan
- Go spelunking in Sagada
- Have my cookie business up and running
- Ride a hot air balloon in Cappadocia, Turkey
- Hop on the train from Bangkok to Vietnam
- Carefree in Santorini!!!
- Launch a project/movement for the art community
- Finish the Bible
- Find a pen-pal who’s willing to correspond the old school way
- Bungee jump in Macau
- Go backpacking alone in a foreign land
- Meet a panda bear and visit the Great Wall
- Read at least 200 books
- See (and hopefully touch) a polar bear
- Go skydiving
- Throw a Harry Potter-themed dinner
- Re-learn the art of watercolor and fill up at least 3 sketchbooks
- Complete a 365 photo project
- Write at least 375 blog entries
- Be an active member of a community with a cause I firmly believe in
- Find myself.
One of my favorite quotes in the whole wide world is François Rabelais’s I go to seek a Great Perhaps, which were his last words. It can be quite cryptic, subjective, and open to interpretation. But here’s how I see it: I like how the word “seek” connotes a perpetual search for something…capitalized, akin to a quest of sorts. This comes in the form of the Great Perhaps, which, according to some people, implies Death or Paradise because the Renaissance writer said it as he breathed his last. But for me, I’d like to view it as a constant adventure. Not really along the lines of demise, but more of a journey towards Something Bigger.
So as of today, April 7, 2012, I, Mikka Wee, 22 years of age, have exactly 7 years and 9 months to make the aforementioned list HAPPEN. The clock is ticking.
Let’s get started!